Translate

DEOLA

DEOLA

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

CHILD’S NAIVETY!!!


Everyone, in adolescent, has some kind of fear. My own childhood (adolescent) fear was about meeting a ghost of a dead person.
In the community of Akoko North of Ondo State of Nigeria, where I was born, there was the make belief that the dead do rise from the grave, and walks round. Hence, each time I heard a person died, I fear to go to sleep. I’d feel some forms of apparition following me.
It didn't actually happen, until, my elder brother, one day, acted ghost-like during the half moonlight, in order to scare me. I had gone to play with Tunde (my friend), and had, unfortunately, stayed late. It was already dark when I was returning home. On the way home, the apprehension of meeting with a ghost bumped into my mind; but, I tried to act bold by singing “Orlando Owoh” song. As I was just a few meter to my house, lo, and behold an image, veiled in snow-white from head to toe stood in front of me. I cried, and run, my heel almost touching the back of my skull. The apparition chased after me, caught up with me, and grabs hold of my hand. My blood bumped and went cold. I fainted, and woke up to find myself in the clinic, surrounded by nurses.
Later, mom brought me food. I held on to her hand, snuggle closer, and told her: “mom, do not to leave me, you know, the ghost could come back. Tell dad to bring his cutlass.” Mom and the nurses laughed it off heartily, and I was taking aback why they would be thinking an apparition that had wanted to kidnap me was funny. I grew irritated by their laugh, and I said: “mom, this ain’t some funny stuff, you know?” One of the nurses asked me: “Deola, how did the ghost look?
As I was trying to narrate the encounter, the post trauma of it set in on me again. I drifted back to seeing him (the ghost). I became instantly frightened, and fainting. Then, mom hugged, kissed me, and said: “Deola, it ain’t a ghost you saw. It was Dada (my elder brother) who acted the ghost to scare you.” Whoa, mom, you meant he did? I’m gonna have to look some ways to teach him a lesson in revenge. Everyone, except me, laughed. It was a terror of the valley of the shadow of death. The shame of being so naïve terrified me each time I hobble into a gathering of people who had heard about the story.
Dear readers, do you enjoy my story? Do you, too, have an adolescent fear? How I wish you could gist me your fear. Thank you for your reading.

=DEOLA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *